This always includes a deliciously baked meat to tender perfection, vegetables, mashed potatoes with gravy and a bread. In the past it has been biscuits, and now it is dinner rolls. We have been used to cheating with the Rhodes brand rolls. Easy, fast, delicious. But sometimes it’s just nice, or even necessary, to have a good homemade roll. I felt when I ran into this recipe I needed look no further. Here’s how it’s done:
Light Dinner Rolls
(1/2 recipe makes two dozen rolls)
3 1/2 C. Warm water
6 Tbs. yeast
1 C Oil
3/4 C sugar
1 Tbs. salt
3 eggs (for half recipe, use two eggs)
10 1/2 C flour
1. Blend oil, sugar, salt and eggs in blender, approximately 1 minute. Pour into mixing bowl.
2. Measure water into blender to rinse out oil mixture, then pour into bowl.
3. Add yeast.
4. Add flour (it will be sticky dough)
5. Knead 10 min. (I knead mine in my bosch at med. speed)
6. Let rest 10 min.
7. Roll or pinch off desired size and shape rolls.
8. Place on greased cookie sheet. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
9. Let raise 10 min.
10. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Bread making tips:
– When using yeast, water should be luke warm. Approx. 110 degrees (if it is too hot, it will kill the yeast)
-Let dough rise in a fairly warm room and out of drafts
-I like using Safe instant yeast, it raises quickly, and has a slightly different flavor than other yeast.
-Keep yeast in freezer to keep fresh.
-Brush beaten egg whites on tops of French loaves to give a glossy look and so sesame seeds will stick to the top.
-Remove bread from pan to cool or the bottoms will become soggy.
Suggested uses for light dinner roll recipes:
*Cinnamon Pull-aparts, rolls, hamburger/hot dog buns, cinnamon rolls.
**Note: I have successfully covered the cookie sheet in suran wrap and refrigerated overnight, placed in warming oven and baked until golden with the most successful results. Very simple and convenient recipe!