and move on.
My girls have been in need of a nightstand for quite some time. I finally realized I had the solution just waiting in the garage.
I had signed this piece off, really, because it was what I call a “craigslist find fail”. I had contacted the seller about this adorable nightstand thinking it would make a darling piece to make over and sell in my shop space. But once I met her at the Ross Clothing parking lot in the middle of the pouring rain, I found it had a few dog chewed spots on it that basically rendered it un-sellable. Not wanting to fuss about it, I went ahead and paid her the $20 she was asking for. She said she’d go down to $15, but I didn’t have change, so there you have it. I’m a wimp like that. 😉
*Piece of advice here- Don’t ever take big bills like that. Always be prepared for negotiation, like at a yard sale!
Anyhow, the piece has great lines and is pure wood, so what the heck, huh?
I decided to match it with my girls room and paint it white like all the rest of their furniture.The one downside of this, is that no matter what, furniture painted white always seems to need a million coats on it, primed or not.
Okay, not a million…but at least 1 or two coats more than any other piece. It feels like a million…okay?!
Anyhow, even though I don’t have any “during” photos (apparently I was hasty since I was working on other things at the same time), I began by sanding the surfaces and then priming with an oil based primer. This is my favorite way to paint anything anymore, I’ve had a few projects go bad because the paint was originally oil based and I used water based primer. The best way to avoid that mistake is to just use an oil base primer to begin with. Then I painted this poor piece 3 times over with General Finishes’ Snow White. And…
All except that I must not have used the same color of white on the girls other furniture, because this is a more pure white and their other furniture is an off white.
I spray painted the hardware black, and there are a few flaws I noticed upon photographing…so touch ups are necessary…
but this photo session made me understand why so many people decide to paint everything white.
With the poor lighting in our home due to how the house faces, I am still able to get some pretty pictures. Plus, the pure white is so cheery and bright!
Here is a picture of one of the defects in the piece. I kind of like a flawed piece in the end.
My girls love it…so much so that I need to find another one for girl number two. 😉
I’ve had this old frame in the garage for quite some time now. It used to proudly display a beautiful portrait of Jesus in our Living Room, but falling from the wall one day, it broke in two and ended up in the fix-it pile out there.
While I was contemplating what I was going to make,, I took a look out there to find an old frame and there she was, all ready for me to fix and bring new life to. I did love this frame the way it was, but I had an idea and it was time to give it a new look.
This month it’s just two of us. My awesome friend Michelle at Michelle James Designs is linking up with me. Our theme this month is chalkboard paint, and believe it or not…it was a real challenge for me!
If you followed my March Madness Twelve Days, 12 Projects then you are aware that not everything on my list to clear out the garage got finished. That’s probably good in the way that I have something to share with you today, right?! I’m actually excited about this one too, because I’m thrilled with how this flip turned out.
I started out with these two bar stools I bought from a really nice woman who sold them on
Craigslist. They are solid wood, and let me tell you, they are heavy! The back on one of them was loose and wobbly. I’m guessing it fell over at one point because the screws had become loose in them. To remedy this, I used wood glue and then used my brad nailer to secure them from the front. This did add a couple of nail holes, but it is solid now and I think it will hold up well.
To start, I sanded them down really good. There were a lot of rough edges that were smoothed out. Next I primed them. Then I painted them with two coats of General Finishes Seagull Gray (not an affiliate). Something I really loved about these stools were all the straight lines that were so easy to paint. I have painted a lot of spindles lately, so this was refreshing!
The back rests to these stools lent themselves to doing something really fun. I thought of a whole mirad of ideas, but finally settled on a pattern that just felt appropriate to this time of year. I think you know how much I love grain sack, right? Being that the theme was acrylic, this was perfect since I generally do my designs using acrylic paint.
Just a quick tip. I have been painting with acrylics for 24 years. There are some really good quality paints out there, and there are some really poor quality. Over the years, some of them have changed to. I’m here to tell you that you get what you pay for. So if you want to pay the regular price of 1.00, you get 1.00 quality. If you pay the 1.50-2.00, you will get that quality. Let’s just say, it’s worth the extra 50 cents to a dollar. Ceramcoat and Delta are my favorites. Apple Barrel is wonderful if you want to just wash something. It is thin and runny.
For this project I used the Delta in Light Ivory for the stripes and added a little of the Ceramcoat in Black to my Seagull Gray for the bees. I wanted the same color just darkened up.
The design turned out just how I’d hoped!
As you can see, there is a rung missing on the stool to the left that I think I will be adding later. I wasn’t going to, but after finishing them, I’m thinking it would be a better idea and wouldn’t be that hard to do. I’ll post an update when I add it.
Come back tomorrow for the last project in my March Madness!